Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Space Shuttle Enterprise Lands At JFK

Enterprise042712.gif

The Space Shuttle Enterprise made its last flight today, departing this morning piggybacked atop a 747 from Washington, D.C., and arriving at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport.

On hand to greet the arrival of the Enterprise was Star Trek‘s Leonard Nimoy, in town for the occasion.

This is a reunion for me,” said Nimoy. “Thirty-five years ago, I met the Enterprise for the first time.

When this ship was first built, it was named Constitution. Star Trek fans can be very persuasive. They sent a lot of letters to President Gerald Ford and the President logically decided that the ship should be named after our spaceship Enterprise.”

The Enterprise space shuttle was originally built to perform test flights within Earth’s atmosphere. It was the only shuttle that never flew in space. It traveled the world though, visiting the UK, France, Italy, Germany, Canada and various places within the U.S.

After a tenure at the Smithsonian Institute National Air & Space Museum’s James S. McDonnell Space Hangar, the shuttle was chosen to be sent to a final home at the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum, which is located at Pier 86 in Manhattan.

“To the Enterprise and to the Intrepid Museum I say, live long and prosper in your final resting place,” said New York Senator Chuck Schumer.

View the full article