Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Orci Drops Trek 2 Character Hints

OrciCumberbatchEve071612.jpg

In an interview with TrekMovie.com, Star Trek 2 Co-writer Roberto Orci cleared up some information regarding some characters to appear on Star Trek 2 – well, perhaps.

Orci again debunked a rumor about the character to be played by Benedict Cumberbatch, and explained which characters played by actors new to the franchise would be portraying canon characters and which would not.

There has been plenty of buzz recently about Karl Urban‘s seeming slip of the tongue where he revealed that Cumberbatch would be playing Gary Mitchell (Where No Man Has Gone Before). “He’s awesome,” said Urban; “he’s a great addition, and I think his Gary Mitchell is going to be exemplary.”

But Orci, when asked about the discrepancy between Urban’s comments and Orci’s own previous statement regarding Cumberbatch, repeated Urban’s explanation for “misspeaking.” “All I can say is that when I did that radio interview I had just been doing 22 hours of press. I had just got off a flight from New Zealand…,” said Orci.

When asked directly if he was sticking with his original comment (that Cumberbatch would not be Mitchell,) Orci said, “I would say that I never lie. While Karl tests all those hypo spray props on himself.”

In the discussion following his comments on the matter, Orci admitted to readers that “…I lied once.”

So will Cumberbatch be Mitchell, or not? One could argue last week’s disclosure and walk back either way.

In fact, Cumberbatch, according to Orci, will be playing an established character. Orci was given a name of six actors with guest roles in Star Trek 2 and he revealed that two would be playing canon roles and four would not.

The four playing new characters are: Noel Clarke, Nanzine Contractor, Peter Weller and Joseph Gatt; while Cumberbatch and Alice Eve will be playing canon characters. Speculation on Eve’s character includes: Carol Marcus, Yeoman Rand, and Christine Chapel. Cumberbatch possible roles include Khan, Gary Seven and Gary Mitchell.

View the full article